Thursday, October 20, 2011

Hat

Last month I embarked on the most basic of sewing projects: making my niece a hat. This project had two results: 1) a hat, and 2) some really creative profanity on my part. When I dig out the sewing machine, I like to think of it as a fun mother-daughter project I do with Stella, but in reality I spend most of the time beseeching David for help and muttering swear words under my breath. But very quietly. Like this: "Fuuuuuuuuuucccckkk."

You have to admit, though, that the results of this project turned out pretty cute. Now, I grant you, this is already an awfully cute baby, but I think the hat enhances her cuteness by another 1% or so:



What? What's that, you say? You need more cuteness? All right, you asked for it, but don't say I didn't warn you. Here she is again, in the hat: 



Yeah. That was too much cuteness, wasn't it? I didn't think you could handle it.

Yesterday we got out the sewing machine and made another version of this hat for Stella. She was home sick from school, so we did quiet activities like reading, cooking, and sewing. The poor girl was not feeling good at all. I could tell, because she was extra nice to her brother. She just didn't have the energy necessary to give him a good clock on the head. Now THAT is sick. 

This morning, Stella still wasn't 100%, as evidenced by the fact that waited until nearly 7:30 AM to push Baby W down. I let her sleep in but then bundled her off to school mid-morning. If she's going to get into Yale, she can't be lolling around the house.

Actually, now that I think about it, we did do flash cards when she was home sick. That might help make up for the day of kindergarten she missed. Okay, Yale is back on the table. 

And you know what she missed at school when she was home sick? A field trip! How awful is that? The first field trip of kindergarten, which was to a pumpkin patch, and Stella missed it. Instead of cavorting with her peers through a field of pumpkins, Stella had a different kind of field trip: because she was home sick, she had to come along with Baby W, David, and me to the closing for refinancing our house. That's what adults do instead field trips -- we go downtown and sit at a conference table and sign documents for an hour non-stop. 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that whatever bug Stella had doesn't cross over and infect the rest of the family. I think the chances are good that we can remain healthy, because stomach viruses don't seem to make that leap. On the other hand, when one of the kids gets a cold, I invariably catch it, possibly because when they have colds both kids wind up covered with an inch-thick layer of mucus over their entire face, making a mockery of any modest attempts at hand-washing or other germ-evading maneuvers. Hopefully Stella will be back to her normal ebullient self soon, and back on a schedule where she makes her brother cry no later by 6:30 AM. She'll need to be, if she wants to make it into Yale.

No comments:

Post a Comment